1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
400g pre sliced chicken fillets (about 0.5 cm thick strips) (note 2)
1 packet (about 400 - 500g) ready to stir fry pre-cut vegetables
3 cups of vegetables (sliced as required so they cook in the same time) such as: carrots, broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, mushrooms, snow peas, bean sprouts, green beans.
450g fresh hokkien noodles (note 1)
2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 1/2 tbsp shrimp paste, or to taste
1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce, or to taste
½ tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
1/4 cup water
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the strips of chicken and stir-fry for approximately 1 minute until it takes on some colour (sealed but not cooked through). Remove from the wok, and set aside.
2. Toss in the vegetables and stir fry for a couple of minutes until the vegetables just start to cook (note: time will differ depending on the size the vegetables are). Remove and set aside with the chicken.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining oil. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 20 seconds until softened (careful not to burn it).
4. Add the shrimp paste and stir fry until aromatic, around 30 seconds. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, water and salt and pepper to taste and let summer for 10 seconds.
5. Add the chicken, vegetables and noodles, lightly toss and cook until the noodles are warmed through, around 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Garnish options: crushed peanuts, cashews, sliced spring onions, coriander.
1. You can substitute for any other noodles you wish. Because this is a speedy recipe, it calls for fresh noodles, but you can also use dried - just prepare the noodles per the packet instructions.
2. Can be substituted for any other meat